pajkossy

Here you'll find stuff I'm interested in - maybe just for the moment, but probably more durably so. For those of you who don't know, the embedded YouTube videos play best if you click in the lower left of the window, then click there again to pause the video while it loads. It's best to wait ‘til the red line fills up all the way, but at least let it get about a half an inch past the play head before you click play again. Please comment - it's the only way I can tell you care :)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Monday, December 04, 2006

Some ideas about love and sex

For me unconditional love (at least at the extreme that I think it ought to exist within a committed domestic partnership) is about a combination (perhaps a paradoxical one) of total acceptance of a person AND a desire to help that person become free from the things that hold them back: to help that person grow and thrive and change and improve - improve even though in the eyes of the beholder in this example that person is already perfect.


It seems to me that one of the BIG things people can do in a marriage (and also as a parent) is learn how to continually (re)discover the proper balance between and integration of these aspects of unconditional love.

True, lasting erotic feelings for the same single individual grow from this process of experiencing and sharing unconditional love - and that process better be self directed too, or it just ain't gonna work out well for anyone concerned.


Sexual arousal can reasonably be a fact of one’s daily life because it can follow naturally from the event of emotionally connecting with people around us in the world. These connections all contain the sparks of unconditional love because unconditional love is something we are each born into, retain a memory of, and have a longing to feel again.


If a man is predominantly heterosexual, when he interacts with a woman in some way that brings to him a feeling of connection with her, then it follows that he may begin to feel an erotic surge toward her. This can feel good and natural and healthy and he needn’t act on it because to do so would be inappropriate much of the time. He can just enjoy it inside himself, or if it does seem appropriate to do so he can attempt a tentative expression of his feelings.


One of the places where some people might reasonably have difficulty is in maintaining a level of this erotic surge in the face of things that might cause distraction from the feeling of connectedness. Unconditional love comes in at this place because unconditional love is like a perpetual motion machine – it keeps on running in the background of a relationship that it is an established part of, even when things happen that would shut down the erotic progression of an interaction in a relationship where unconditional love had not been created.


These “shut down” events happen all the time in the absence of established unconditional love relationships – trying to “pick someone up” who isn’t interested for whatever reason, and being rejected. They also happen all the time even in the presence of unconditional love - stopping oneself from sexually engaging with a child or family member with whom one feels very close.

This is part of what being sexually well-mannered and “moral” are all about – figuring out how to channel one’s erotic surges and sexual desires appropriately and in ways that both individuals and the society as a whole will reward with positive feedback.

Comments anyone?

Sorry if it's a bit cold and analytical.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lisa said...

I am commenting just to let you know that I read this. Not sure what I would say except that your model of what occurs seems kind of like we are all robots, no one has any differences from anyone else. Erotic attraction doesn't always arise during closeness. At least not adult sexual eroticism. There might be a more diffuse eroticism that does happen during any closeness. I guess that is an interesting question.

1:22 PM  
Blogger pajkossy said...

"Robots:" no, animals: yes. I like that I'm an animal. I experience my animal-ness when I smell fresh air, when I eat really satisfying food, when my muscles are pushed closer to their limits; when I do anything that shifts the balance my attention away from my mind and toward my body. These "animal" or "bodily-sensation-emphasizing" experiences also include adult sexual eroticism, for me.

Certainly my perceptions are colored by what could be labelled "sexual addiction," and I'm not sure what to do with that exactly. But I do like being "me" whether I'm weighted more heavily into my mind OR into my body at any given moment.

Sometimes if I shift into my body and my mind loses it's influence or "control functions" over my self expression, I might look different. More raw, vulnerable, flaws exposed. I'm still me, then. I'm still just fine, and I still deserve to be treated with respect and love. Unconditional love.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I read this just now ...

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home