pajkossy

Here you'll find stuff I'm interested in - maybe just for the moment, but probably more durably so. For those of you who don't know, the embedded YouTube videos play best if you click in the lower left of the window, then click there again to pause the video while it loads. It's best to wait ‘til the red line fills up all the way, but at least let it get about a half an inch past the play head before you click play again. Please comment - it's the only way I can tell you care :)

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Only Video Game in Our House



















Here's a cut-n-paste of the review I wrote for Amazon:

I bought this for my son (who was a few months short of 5 years old at the time) just after last Christmas (2005) because 1) I knew he wanted a video game of some kind because his friends had them and he felt left out; 2) I did not, and still don't want to get him a video game that's thumbs and fingers controlled only - which rules out most video games; and 3) I found it for only $30 at an after Christmas clearance sale.

I needed to help him alot at first to stay calm and in control within the somewhat narrow parameters of the controller sensitivity, but now he's every bit as good as I am at 38 years of age. He loves playing it with me, and we still play several times a week. He does fine with taking turns because the game is such an active, physical one that he has to take breaks to recharge his own batteries. Also, because of this workout aspect of the game I would say that the longest he's ever been able to play at a stretch is one hour. He happily shuts off the game and comes upstairs with no prompting after he's had enough.

Now, as a kindergartener, he can beat every level boss in the game and is more skilled than neighbor boys twice his age.

One of the things I like best about this game is that it has no scoring of any kind. I suspect the designers sacrificed keeping score in favor of other game features. For such a small and relatively inexpensive piece of electronics the graphics and game play are really amazing. Chris and I are still discovering fun new little tricks almost a year later.

Here's what's in the box:



















Why am I putting this on my blog?

I had a thought about this game as compared to other video games last night that hadn't occurred to me before.

Alot of video games (maybe even all of them) that involve fighting against onscreen enemies put the player/spectator in the position of having to hunt down and kill those enemies. Because of the age range that this game here is aimed at, there's no bloody killing of human enemies. Most of the enemies that the player must defeat are robots.

More important and interesting to me, however, is the fact that the limitations of the game technology were used by the developers in a way that reinforces what I think is one of the larger, and most positive, themes of the Star Wars "universe." Because the player is functionally limited to standing more or less stationary, the enemies must come to him or her. The player is not hunting or searching for enemies to fight - he or he is primarily placed in a defensive position. When you're in the game you cannot run away, or be stealthy in anything resembling the guerilla offensive fighting tactics that I think many first person shooter games invite players to employ. I think these guerilla fighting tactics are what worry the people who worry about video games. They certainly give me pause.

In the Lightsaber Battle game there is even a special move that you can do with your lightsaber that is the functional equivalent of a shield you can use in almost any situation where your enemy is attacking you with such intensity that you have no room left for offensive manuvering. As the game progresses though levels you basically have to get better and better at defensive manuvering because the enemies leave fewer and fewer openings for you to attack them. They get better at playing offense, so you must improve you defenses accordingly.

There is something very appealing to me about this notion of a defensively oriented fighting game. In my own limited martial arts training it was made clear to me that fighting skills were used most honorably in defensive mode. I think the Star Wars movies in general promote this position too, especially through their exaltation of the close-combat lightsaber over guns (though guns certainly have their place in these stories too).

Are there other games that do this too?

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger GORdon said...

this sounds great, jim!

you are really a great dad.

3:57 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love how Chris jumps and swoops when he plays this game. I want you to take another video of him playing and have it show how expert he is if possible. It is so cool that he as a 5 yr old can have mastery like this.

When I watch this game I do get tired more quickly than you guys do of the violence. But mostly the violence is smashing hostile machines, which is fine with me. I get sad when that sea monster gets killed. The people-type figures just collapse, they don't seem to die.

11:15 AM  
Blogger pajkossy said...

Yeah, there are these dog-like monsters too that jump at you to attack, and a crab/mantis thing too. They make a sad sound when they die.

It would be better if they put some other robots in place of those enemies - or made the creatures run away because they were scared of you or something like that.

The whole "kill-or-be-killed" thing is unfortunate in Ultraman shows too. Maybe that was some piece of why Utraman upset me when I was little.

I like stories that have monsters scaring people only because the monsters themselves are scared of people. This seems like a better "message" to me.

12:25 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Put up a post about Speed Racer vs Initial D. Or let me. Comparing those two shows prompted a whole meditation about being in harmony with the laws of nature, or not. Can you put in video clips?

3:16 PM  
Blogger pajkossy said...

Cool idea.

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home